Thursday, May 11, 2006

Say it With a Straight Face!

Still trying to write that damned speech. You know, the one Bush should have given after September 11th.

Here's the problem: every time I get to a lofty line about the great strength and purpose of America, our indominable will of freedom brushing aside these imbecilic terrorists, I remember who would have been reading the speech. Then the idea of a lofty and inspiring phrase just seems pointless.

The other problem I keep having - despite my best intentions - is that I keep deleting lines like, "We will not rest until we've publicly impaled the leadership of Al Qaeda - their intestines baking in the hot summer sun for all to see - on the Capital steps." Not very progressive of me, I agree.

You have to remember that New York is my home town and the whole thing still really burns me. This of course did not mean that W was supposed to go off corrupting our response with tangential military adventures.

Oh well, I'll keep plugging..... For a while.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Greg,

Hope all is well with you. Have been reading your unconscionable objector, and music site. Hope all is well with yourself, and the wife. Have added your email to the tail end of the glory and gutting excerpt. I changed the names to protect the innocent and guilty, but let me know if you would your work to appear under your own name.

Your idea of re-writing Bush's post September 11 speech, is interesting. I do not believe I would attempt it, though. The thing is, in that speech, they promised us another Henry V, but we wound up with a Richard III. It is a damned shame all around.

your pal,
L. Smith

10:45 AM  
Blogger Unconscionable said...

Ah, Fireball. We'll talk.

12:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home