Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Wild Fire in Spreads in Pittsburgh


Those of you who live in Pittsburgh already know this first part....

Mayor Bob (O'Conner) has a rare form of brain cancer. I really do feel bad for the guy. I've only met him once, at a debate a year or so ago, but he seemed like a generally decent sort of fellow. The irony of the whole thing is that for the past twelve years this guy has wanted nothing more other than to be the Mayor of the City of Pittsburgh. He kept getting narrowly beaten in the Democratic primary until - finally - he got the nod last year when Murphy retired. Now after only six months on the job he's been knocked out of commision, possibly for good.

Anyway, a strange thing happened this afternoon. My wife calls about 4:30 and says, "Did you hear? Mayor Bob died!" Apparently, a rumor started that he had passed. By three this afternoon My wife's boss had heard it. The UPS driver said something about it. The cops were talking about it. It was out there. When I got back to my car I was expecting to hear the real deal on the radio.

It was not the case. No change in the Mayor's condition.

it is funny what a small town Pittsburgh is, that an unsubstantiated rumor like that can get started and actually get enough traction that by quiting time it's the talk of the town.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heard he did die.

5:01 AM  
Blogger Unconscionable said...

And yes, two days later he did actually die....

But the initial reports of his death were premature.

8:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, he was just a Mark Twain imitation . But the important question is, will this have an effect on the Steelers season?

1:37 PM  
Blogger Unconscionable said...

Well I'm not sure about the playing, but I suspect after a week's worth of eulogizing, wailing and garment tearing, I suspect that everyone will be ready for a good footbal game by Thursday.

And if I can make a prediction..... The press will make a fallen messiah out of a guy who was only in office for six months, and that will be all the news all week.

9:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home